RE POST: 96 passat transmission problems HELP

Foxx (in a box) wrote:
>>  We are still fighting vw on this, what do you guys/gals think?
>
>   if they didn't do what they said they did (tear down the
> transmission), then that would lead me to believe it's fraud. as for
> the cluster, however, unless you requested it back, i think they're
> allowed to trash it (see below). of course, i'm only an ad floor
> supervisor, not an attorney. :)
>   fwiw, i had to take the gf's '94 passat to three different garages
> before they could diagnose the problem. in the course of a year we
> replaced the coil pack, cam and crank sensors, a variety of other
> little parts, for someone only to finally tell us the ecm was bad. we
> replaced it and now the car starts. coincidentally, hers was
> experiencing an intermittent non-start problem, though it is a 5
> speed. as for the parts thing, i requested the old parts when they
> replaced with the new ones, just in case they really weren't bad. now
> i have an extra coil and cam sensor. the crank sensor was trashed as i
> didn't request it back.

Unfortunately, folks at Volks dealers are normally nothing more than
educated parts-changers.  It's not only VW, it is -every- brand...

I am keen to recommend finding smaller shops that -love- VWs.  I almost
guarantee better service/satisfaction...

G/L,
  David