RE POST: 96 passat transmission problems HELP

>  We are still fighting vw on this, what do you guys/gals think?

   if they didn't do what they said they did (tear down the
transmission), then that would lead me to believe it's fraud. as for the
cluster, however, unless you requested it back, i think they're allowed
to trash it (see below). of course, i'm only an ad floor supervisor, not
an attorney. :)
   fwiw, i had to take the gf's '94 passat to three different garages
before they could diagnose the problem. in the course of a year we
replaced the coil pack, cam and crank sensors, a variety of other little
parts, for someone only to finally tell us the ecm was bad. we replaced
it and now the car starts. coincidentally, hers was experiencing an
intermittent non-start problem, though it is a 5 speed. as for the parts
thing, i requested the old parts when they replaced with the new ones,
just in case they really weren't bad. now i have an extra coil and cam
sensor. the crank sensor was trashed as i didn't request it back.

--
  /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
< o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com