No oil pressure - now what?

-- Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>
> Monday I actually drove to work (it was chilly
> dammit) and just a scant 10 seconds or so
> after leaving the driveway, the oil light
> & buzzer came on.  Drove for another 3-4
> seconds 'til I crested the hill, and shut
> er down and coasted into the parking lot.
> What was left of the engine oil was dripping
> from the filter.

This sounds like too much oil pressure and a failed
filter gasket. (Could be based on gasket creep due to
the cool weather and warming motor.)

> Investigation revealed that the seal on the filter
> had blown,

See?

> rather than the expected oil
> cooler-to-oil bracket assembly o-ring.
> Easy fix I would think - replace the
> filter, re-fill with oil and things should
> be fine.
>
> Nope.
>
> Did the repair in the parking lot this evening,
> fired it up and still get the oil light, and
> when above 2k rpm, the buzzer.  No leaks this time.

Couple of thoughts:

There is a oil bypass valve down in the oil pump,
right? (Isn't there also some sort of oil related
valve up in the head as well?) Perhaps one of these is
sticking.

Is it possible you have the motor equivalent of
clogged arteries? Those passageways in the head (and
around the crank for that matter) can get gummed up
from old motor, new detergent in new oil flush
syndrome.

I kind of like the crack the sensor fitting and burp
the system idea although I have no direct experience
with that exactly to back it up.

When the motor has sat for awhile, what is the
dipstick reading right now?

TBerk