Somewhat OT: mk5 Golf to be called Rabbit in NA

Ben Harder wrote:

> This is really a shame IMO... nothing could ever replace the original
> Mk1 Rabbit, *especially* not a 3,000+lb overweight Mk5!

As someone old enough to have owned a NEW Rabbit GTI back in late '82..
..I too think this is a dopey move.  This "brand awareness" chick is
probably about 27 years old and was in diapers (maybe) when the Rabbit
died.  What she doesn't know is that the later Rabbits were deplorable
POS's, produced at the dreadful Westmoreland plant and "Americanized" to
the point of being a mini-Buick.. squishy suspensions, cheesy North
America market-only trim, and absolutely frightening build "quality".
Those later Rabbits were not only forgettable, they were the beginning
of the near-death knell for VW in the USA.  Why resurrect the name now?
  I remember what a relief it was when the Mk2's came out and gone were
the Americanized touches and the Rabbit name.

But I do love that poster of the rabbit howling at the moon, that's an
instant classic!

--
Kevin Collins
Chandler, AZ