Tranny Question. - Quaife or LSD?

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:39:26 -0700, Cory Langford
<Cory_Langford@bcit.ca> wrote:

>1. Anyone currently have a quaife?   Can anyone tell me how the quaife
>affects steering?  I plan on putting out a fair bit of torque with the
>g60, so am I going to need gorilla arms to steer the car seeing as how I
>don't have power steering installed?

The quaife definitely gets your steering wheel back to center if you
apply power with the wheels turned but it doesn't make the car steer
any harder.  I have no p/s either.  On smooth pavement, it's not
traumatic and gives you the feeling you are applying power in a very
efficient manner as you are pulled through a turn.   An incredible
change in my car vs. the stock trans and diff.  Torque steer and
(unintentional) wheel spin virtually disappeared.

If you do hit some gravel or the road is bumpy enough to cause one
wheel or the other to lose traction coming out of a turn,  it does get
a bit more forceful in centering the wheel if you are on the power.  I
read somewhere that rally drivers learn to keep their thumbs out of
the way of the steering wheel spokes.  It (the self-centering) is
actually something you learn to use to make steering easier - not
something you have to fight.
Gordon

75 Mk1/Drake 1.9