Jetta GLI ground cable

-----Original Message-----
From: David Brown [mailto:sharpshooter33@adelphia.net]
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 1:12 AM
To: scirocco scirocco
Subject: SPAM-LOW: Jetta GLI ground cable

Ok so I got my GLI running the last 2 days by push starting it.

Runs ok for awhile, but then it starts to miss.  We narrowed it down to a
faulty ground.  We think it's the main ground wire.  We attached a meter and
the battery has good Voltage, the alternator puts out good voltage, but the
battery when the car is running is not getting charge.

We ground the battery with jumper cables to the block and BANG we get a good
charge coming back to the battery.

My question is this:
I look up the stock negative battery cable and it's 15"  The current one
that I took off is about 22".  All the models that I looked up Scirocco 8v,
16v and Jetta GL and GLI all say 15".

This car was wrecked in the front at one time and the electrical wiring is
FUBAR especially with the radiator relay and other items in the front area.
I'm wondering if it's grounded to the wrong place also?  The Bentley says
ground to body, but it looks like it's on the back of the tranny.  Also it
has a inline connector that wasn't connected to anything.  I'm tempted to
get a B.A.cable and ground it to the tranny and body.

Any input?

Thanks
David

15" sounds more like a positive cable, unless they're just connecting it to
the chassis, or it might reach directly to the top of the driver's side
trans mount, but I doubt it duplicates the stock setup.

I use a thick low gauge wire, and run it from the negative battery terminal,
to the top starter bolt, or to a trans to engine bolt/stud. Then I use a
little thinner cable with ring terminals on each end, and connect it to the
chassis.

Here's what that trans to engine bolt/stud looks like:
http://thescirocco.com/images/forsaletransgroundbolts.jpg

Peter
http://thescirocco.com/

Drive the GTI, and save the Scirocco!

Please! Include the previous text in your reply...