Aftermarket steering wheel fitment...

OKay, so I bought a delicious leather wrapped steering wheel from tmtuning,
it even says 16V on it. Yep, I'd say pretty specific to a narrow range of
cars. I told them it was for a 16V Scirocco, and it is really identical to
the one on Mtl Mark's car, except for the 16V logo.

So it arrived before Christmas, I finally get around to putting it on
during the holidays, it won't fit. I confirmed with Mark that his fit, as
he put it, "like Momma and Poppa". So I contact the company, they will
check into it. In the meantime, I harvest a pretty rusty splined sleeve
from the Passat, which happens to fit the wheel "like momma and pappa".
Only this splined piece is too long, and rusty, and dammit, the wheel was
expensive enough that I thought it should mount right up, especially since
I had seen another one on a Scirocco.
Back to the company, they were checking with the people who made the wheel,
yep, they thought they knew what was wrong, could I send pictures, all this
stuff, yep, the company has an adapter that fitsthen nope, the company
doesn't make an adapter, they were gonna work on it, etc. Did I mention
that they were in Germany? So I get the part they finally sent me, and it's
the same Passat piece, which is still too long, and it comes with a spring.
I really don't feel like grinding the thing down, and I also don't feel
like dissassembing a good part of my steering column to remove that black
plastic sleeve that secures the bearing and install the thing to find out
it won't work.
Yeah, and I also do not want to install the stock wheel, it's just
frustrating.
So any of you have this wheel, or have suggestions? It's essentially like
fitting a later (B3, etc) wheel to our cars.
These small things make me insane.
Cathy