Movable steering column

This just started yesterday on my 88 16V.  I can move my steering column up
and down about 3 mm.  When I took a look underneath, I could see the
steering column bearing (Bentley page 10-30 fig 7-2) was sitting out in the
open not doing a damn thing. There was also a white plastic ring that was
past the Bushing, sitting against the universal joint.  I tried to put the
bearing back into place, but it's not staying.  Anyone have this happen
before?  I can't tell what exactly happened here.  My initial impression was
that the bushing keeps the bearing in place, however, this no longer appears
to be the case.

TIA,
Craig
'88 Alpine White 16V