Callaway / Return on Investment

> I wouldn't be counting on a "return on investment" on
> a roc, unless you count the joy of driving them.  You
> do it for the love :)

Almost no car is a good return on investment. At best one in a thousand
honest (i.e. non-dealer) purchases will break even, let alone bring a
profit.

However, A1 chassis cars can be incredibly inexpensive vehicles to maintain
and own. Insurance cost is low, parts are inexpensive, fuel mileage is high,
etc. My 8v is the cheapest car I ever owned!

Here is a comparison:

Scirocco
--------

Up-front car purchase cost $3,000.00 - spread out over 60 months is
$50/month or $600/year. (interest not included, I paid cash)

10 gallons every 8 days at $2.50/gallon = $1,015/year in gas. This is my
every day driving, special trips not included.

Insurance is $218.30/6 months or $436.60/year. (the insurance gods love me)

Average maintenance cost is ~$100/month (in the past year I have all new
breaks, new axels, 3 of 4 wheel bearings, etc.)

I have classic registration that never expires, needs no annual renewal, and
does not require inspection.

This comes out to $3,251.00/year or $270/month. Not too shabby!

2002 C230
---------

(Probably equal to a R32 or new GTI in costs)

$503/month car payment x 60 months (interest included)

Insurance was ~$70/month (cheap, I know)

16 gallons of gas every 8 days at $2.50/gallon is $1326.25/year.

Average maintenance cost was nearly $200/month (tires, breaks, scheduled
maint. Etc.)

Registration, inspection, emissions = $250/year.

Parking at work (Scirocco can be parked on the street, Benz could not)
$95/month.

$11,992.25/year or $999.35/month.

PLUS I spent *AT LEAST* $100/month in tickets in the Benz where I've only
received $116 in tickets in the past 14 months in the Scirocco, which I hope
to get back when I contest the ticket. Having half the power gets me into
far less trouble!

There you have it, Sciroccos are cheap! Not good investments (what is?), but
cheap! Hell, my Scirocco's monthly cost is exactly double the cost of a
local public transportation monthly pass! For double the money I can go
where I want when I want and do it in Italian Designed, German Engineered
style!

-Marc