From: David Brown [mailto:sharpshooter33@adelphia.net]
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2006 5:01 PM
To: scirocco scirocco
Subject: Do I need tool VW-558 to get the pressure plate

I've got a spare 16v that I'm toying with rebuilding.  I got the clutch
and flywheel off thanks Cathy (9mm, 12pt)  Now I can't get the pressure
plate bolts off because the crank is turning and me and my son can't get
enough pressure on the bolts and hold to break them loose.  I just
looked at the Bentleys and it talks about a VW-558 tool. Basically a
bolt with a plate and another hole to screw into the pressure plate to
keep it from turning.  Make's it easy enough since I just broke a tooth
off the timing gear trying to be slick. 8-(

The problem I have is that it's just the lower block and not being held
by anything so when I crank the block turns and lifts as I put pressure
on it and my son (age 13) can't get enough force downward holding the
pressure plate notch against a bolt.

What does VW-558 cost normally if they still have them around and who's
got another sneaky way of doing it.   This was going to be a project
"father-son" kinda thing and right now it looks like lets watch dad yank
a piece of metal around the floor. 8-)

Thanks
David