Ignition timing for dummies?

OKay, so my MkI still has some issue. Throttle response is not what it
should be. At full load, (especially around 4000 rpm) it seems to sputter,
and smooths out if I back off a bit. Idle is dead smooth, and there are a
ton of things I can rule out, but I won't list them.

So, ignition is knock electronic, and is advanced a fair bit past 6*BTDTC,
it's a 10:1 engine with a G grind.

What are the symptoms of :
a) too advanced
b) too retarded

on this setup. I know it can advance /retard depending on load/knock, but
by how much? as in 1 degree? 10?

The other possible candidate offender would be injectors, it's a used set,
as my "new set" clogged up and didn't spray nicely.

I have a few more things to look at tomorrow, so I'll deal with those, and
double check where the ignition timing is at. And trust me, the basics have
been covered, to death. But ask anyway if something might come to mind.

On the winning side, idle just will not budge from 1000 and is damned
steady for a straight CIS car, which is so very nice. Finally.

Cathy, seeking perfection...