Friendly border gestapo

So why is it I get all the Customs guys who really love their jobs? I went
cross border to get Adam's tail lights, which had been tinted by "Jon's
Tinted Tails" These were stock (oh so rare, LOL) Jetta II tails that we
owned and had tinted. Of course Jon had not included an invoice, and I'd
ripped the packing open to check for one.
So I'd been across maybe half an hour, and told the guy that I'd been over
and back to pick up the package, which was in clear view on the PS seat. He
knew full well how long I'd been over anyway.  What's the value...I tell
him $40. I really have no clue, and he asks why I ripped out the packing
slip and so on, yeah, I'm a big criminal, off to the parking spot under the
canopy. And wait.
Beside me is a Sunfire, with 8-10 Customs officials making it look like my
parts Passats. Like, total disassembly, without benefit of tools. I'm
driving the MkI. Yeah, I can easily replace all the shit they decide to rip
up. (If they didn't jail me for killing the guy doing it) The nice (grumpy)
guy tears himself away from the destruction and dives into my car. Checks
under the leopardskin seat covers, lifts the carpet on the dash to look at
the "flair" underneath, is it legal to take across the border? I have no
clue. Then he proceeds to dig through my purse. I have no issue with that,
it's a cheapie. Looking for the bill I've "hidden". If I had the fucking
bill I'd have volunteered that info with the not so concealed "smuggled"
goods. And in my experience, a computer generated invoice never makes them
happy anyway. Never looked under the hood or in the hatch. Mighta had an
illegal immigrant or two in there, but they will never know, will they?
Anyway, he let me go, no tax/duty etc. The NRA rolled in beside me and
proceeded to produce a bunch of guns, but I was outa there.

And that MkI still has issues, but it's still so much fun to drive. Winter
may be coming, but I'm gonna log a bunch of miles first. On this side of
the border.

cathy