hill parking

Greg, I have mentioned this before when we had the ?parking brake? survey that I live in a relatively hilly part of the country so I use the brake every day and on all my cars.  I typically set the brake and then put the car in gear, whether it is an auto or standard, therefore there is no stress on the drive train while the brake is on.  I will also turn my wheels towards the curb or something other than traffic should something fail.  Next, if you have drum brakes, they hold better when the car moves backwards as opposed to when the car moves forward (since only the rear shoe is engaged).  Just try it some time.  Since it sounds like you don?t? use the parking brake now so I would suggest that you start using it in advance of when you really need it to insure that everything is working.  As far as adding a wheel chuck in addition to the brakes and in gear, it won?t hurt.

Rick.

Greg Pallett <greg.rocco@gmail.com> wrote:Ok, so here's the deal. I'll be housesitting for 3 weeks in the city
(Washington DC) There is off street parking, but it's the
driveway/ramp. It's one of those short steep ones that leads to a
basement garage from the street level.
So obviosuly, I use the parking brake and leave it in gear. Park nose
in(facing down) or nose out (ready for takeoff)? I wonder about where
the oil will end up...
Should I take extra protection and use wheel chocks, to take some off
the stress off the E-brake and transsmission?
this may be a silly thing to wonder/worry about... but heck, anything
to keep the car happy and strong.

TIA
Greg.
--
Aronsons First Law
People who do crazy things are not necessarily crazy