How to get Mk1 fenders off?

Thanks for the tips. I am going to tackle it again this weekend. The more I read, the more I learn that patience is the key, although a propane torch helps :)

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: nocones77-vw@yahoo.com
To: Dan Bubb <dan.bubb@gmail.com>; Mtl-Marc <marc_scirocco@sympatico.ca>
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org; JLPAWLICKI@aol.com
Sent: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:23:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: How to get Mk1 fenders off?

I used a propane torch to heat the undercoating, and then scraped it off with a
putty knife. But like Daun said, you really have to be careful about flames.

 Once you get most of the undercoating out of the way, use the putty knife in
the seams to separate the panel from the body. Heat up the putty knife itself
with the torch, and it becomes the proverbial "knife through butter". Be
patient, and you can get it off without damaging it.

 Neal
 '77 Scirocco