How to get Mk1 fenders off?

--- Dan Bubb <dan.bubb@gmail.com> wrote:

> What has worked for me is to cut the undercoating/glue
> away from the
> flange as much as possible then pry the flange up a
> little bit at a
> time being careful not to bend it too much.

And luckily the Mk 1 cars seem to have less of that
undercoating to try and cut off.  The Mk 2s....   yeesh.

> Haven't tried heating it, that might be a good addition,
> but suspect
> you'll still need to cut the crap back as much as
> possible at the edge
> of the flange.

One other word of caution - the undercoating *will* catch
fire.  I have a scorched Rabbit fender hanging in the barn
as a reminder of that.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172

http://mail.yahoo.com