Electrical question - starting and temp guage

Greetings fellow listers.

My 81'S has always started well, but the last few days it seems to catch and die, causing
me to crank it a few times before it actually will run, and then it runs rough and low idle
for a few seconds, requiring a bit of play with the gas pedal.

I noticed also this morning that the oil temp guage in the console was bouncing around
wildly and seemed to peg out at max when I increased the rpm.

Any ideas on where to start looking.

Thanks in advance
Ed 81'S