sluggish scirocco (or light desert breeze)

--- "Foxx (in a box)" <foxxinabox@wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> repositioned the crank and intermediate shaft as per
> bentley. as for the
> cam shaft, i have never had a car where the mark on the
> pulley lines up
> as it should. anyway, the camshaft didn't (appear) to
> move but the car
> is much more sluggish now. more along a carb'd rabbit
> that a f.i.
> scirocco. (the car in question, btw, is an '85 8v).
>    is this something i can, perhaps, fix by adjusting the
> distributor
> (i've already put all the covers back on)? it is drivable
> as it is but,
> lord, i feel like a blue hair. suggestions would be
> appreciated. thanx.

Well, check your ignition timing with a timing light, but
I'm guessing it's alright.  In which case I'm afraid your
only option is to pull the covers and re-time everything,
as it's almost positively the cam vs. crank vs.
intermediate shaft timing that's got things screwed up, and
you can *not* fix that by changing distributor timing.

Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 Scirocco S               '86 Scirocco 8v
'88 Scirocco 16v             '88 Scirocco Slegato
'96 Passat GLX Wagon         '56 Cessna 172

http://mail.yahoo.com