Idle question, don't delete me please...(Fox manifold/8V)

On 11:50:53 am 09/25/05 "Dick Y Wong" <sailingfc@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Or you can do like me, for years I've been setting my CO by "ear".
> Once the engine is warm, pull out your trusty long 3mm hex wrench and
> start adjusting the CO screw in the fuel distributor.  I basically
> turn it until the it idles smoothly.  This may take a few tries,
> going back and forth to the idle screw, so that your idle speed is
> not too high or low.  You should be able to hear the engine is not
> happy within about a quarter turn of the CO screw when you find the
> sweet spot. Don't forget to blip the throttle in between adjustments
> to settle things in.  And turn on your headlights and accessories to
> simulate the worst case loads. But I don't adjust for the radiator
> fan since it's a short cyclic load.  When I'm done, my "unloaded"
> idle speed is a little above 1000 rpm.
> When it comes time to go to the Smog Nazis, I pull out the 3mm and go
> to work and lean out the CO a good couple of turns.  You will have go
> to the idle screw and open it up a bunch to get it to idle, but that
> works for me. That's when it will run like it's anemic but it's still
> drivable.  My last test I passed the test under the average #s for
> HC, CO & NO (at both speeds).
>
> Sorry to hear about the rain.  It's partly sunny and 54 deg. with a
> high of 78 deg. today in my part of the SF Bay Area.
>
> Good Luck.
>
> -Dick-
> 78 Scirocco
> Original Owner
> 95 Passat GLX
> Second Owner

I don't have to have this one sniffed, they are rumbling about "tougher" E
testing which will run back as far as 1980, but that car will still be
fine. And the sun did come out, but todays plan was to kill various films
on Roccos and that I did, including two rolls of 120 on the mighty
Speedgraphic (my old bellows jobbie), I hope they turn out. This was after
recovering from another headache. Idle was steady for that trip, though a
bit high, it didn't change. And the car runs well enough 95% of the time,
it's that 5% that makes me nuts. I should have enough time between now and
the gas analysis to screw with that plumbing, may as well put it the right
way around.

And for those heading out my way anytime soon, I found an ace photo spot on
rock shelves on Lake Erie...anyway, thanks again, sorry i was so grumpy
yesterday.

cathy