Charging problems

--- matt <matt@safearmy.com> wrote:

> driving home from work today my volt meter on the 87
> 8V dropped below 12 v  and the idiot lights began to
> flicker for about half the drive. it went back to
> normal (13.5-14.5V)  for awhile then dropped back
> below 12 again. Alternator? voltage regulator? blue
> wire? faulty gauge? any opinions would be great.
> Matt
> 1987 8v Auto

Sounds like:

A. Faulty Regulator (attached to the Alt)
B. Loose Belt (but you would here it slipping and feel
it catch during which it would change the engine speed
a bit.)
C. Loose Battery Cables or other shorted type wire
situation.

Of these I see (A) being the likely gremlin, which
means it's time to UPGRADE! WhooHoo! (It's not a
problem, it's an opportunity.)  ;])

You can check the battery posts easily enough, might
as well clean em up and coat em while yer at it.

btw- early VW Automatics have that Starter back by the
downpipe. Replacing the cable w/ a larger one as well
as relaying the Solenoid Wire is a wonderful
preventive measure against the heat soak isue.

hth,
TBerk