Subject: dipstick funnel

I also did the same thing Cathy is reffering to (measure oil into engine and
check level)  when switching oil pans on a passat 1.8T motor.  On regular VW
steel pans, the dipstick and tube should be kept as a pair of parts (i.e. one
goes with the other forever and always)  Anyway, I lost a motor because I
wasn't sure if it got a funnel or not.  Long story short, the girlfreind changed
her own oil, and didn't know they took a little under 4 1/2 qts.  She put like 2
1/2 or so in and it said full so she stopped.  Well, it lasted about 3 weeks
until #4 rod bearing went, and took out the crank, the rod, pushed out a
rodbolt and bent it 45*, the piston skirt, and a nasty chunk knocked out of the
bottom of the #4 sleeve.  I had told her that if the motor starts making noise
that it's prolly low on oil, and she should put some in... she stopped and got
some oil, but it was ir-reversible damage by then.  Moral of the story kids,
check your oil frequently and make sure you've got enough... it does nasty
things when you don't.

Jim
'81 16v S
'88 16v