even more clutch crap

A little trick that helps me is to remove the speedo cable from the
idiot box and not the tranny itself.  Every time I have pulled one
from the tranny I end up chewing the gear and/or living without a
speedo until I have someone with good sense come look at it.

Most IIRC of the MKII's have an "idiot box" at least the american ones
do, follow the speedo cable up to there and it has a cable going into
it and one coming off.  This counted off 20K miles and then put a
light on your dash so you would HAVE to take it to the dealer so they
could charge you an arm and a leg for "service" when in reality all
they really did was push the button and reset the damn thing.  Hence
the name "idiot box".  I think it was intended for you to bring your
car in for emissions service but it's really a moot point at this
stage in the game with these cars pretty close not having to worry
about emissions anymore.

ANYWAY... if you pull the cable there at the idiot box it is a little
easier for me just be very very careful when removing the tranny not
to snag it on anything and find something to replace that wax/loctite
looking stuff on the cable head.  You'll know what I am talking about
when you see it.

HTH
Chris