Simple fuel problem caused many symptoms

When I filled up my 87 16V a few weeks ago I spilled gas all over the
car because the nozzle did not shut off.  I was not at a gas station I
usually frequent so I blamed it on the pump.  The next fill up it seemed
to be okay however I was cautious and slow with the fill up.  The next
fill up was at the usual place and I let it pump at full throttle.  The
pump did not shut off automatically and gas went down the fender and
tire.  Well, there has to be something wrong but what can it be?  A
quick inspection revealed that the ventilation hose had slipped off the
fitting on the filler neck.  I put the hose back on with a new hose
clamp and filled up the car without incident.
There were a few other symptoms I should have paid more attention to
such as not hearing the tank depressurize when the fuel cap is removed.
Also, it seemed like the fuel pump in the tank was running too long and
finally, the motor would start to break up at full throttle above 5,500
rpms as if the fuel was being cut off.  All symptoms are now gone.
Rick.