winter beater/ beater car

Hye guys,
 I am going to be selling my truck here probably rather soon since gas is so
dang high. I am going to look for a beater. I am picking the road less
traveled when it comes to the 3 magical words. I am looking for CHEAP and
RELIABLE!! Something that starts every morning and runs more than halfway
decent. Open to things other than VW's but figured a mechanically sound A1
or 2 would be one of my best choices for fuel efficiency. There are a few
things I am going to get rather picky about because this si a car I really
don't NEED but would really like to have. I would like it to have some kind
of aftermarket stereo, whether it be speakers or a CD player at least a
start. Manual transmission almost a certain garuntee unless I find a steal
on a giddy-up'd auto. OBViously right after being reliable it has to be fuel
efficient, like thats hard to do with these cars. And finally the price
range!! I would like to have it here (in Iowa) and road safe for winter and
hopefully nothing else needed until after spring for under $1K. I believe
this is possible, just haven't ran across the right one yet.
ANy help is welcomed!!
 Thanks,
Rhett
 Yes, I have been searching on the 'tex and ebay. Now to finish up the crap
on the truck so it can be sold!!