Katrina

I do too.

I have always wanted to help in these kinds of situations.  I was
trained at the Washington State Fire Academy, and have had the
unfortunate need for those types of skills more than once.

I am really torn right now.  They asked for volunteers to go.  I
didn't raise my hand and this is what I do for a living.  I am in the
Military and my country needs me and I didn't answer the call.  I know
for a fact I could make a difference.  But the cold hard fact is that
I am going to be seperated for a blown out knee and I have a baby
coming the 22nd.  I still feel like shit though for not going.  They
told me not to even bother asking because I am "broken".

Don't get me wrong I am not standing up here on a soap box and
preaching.  I just wish I could do something.  I don't like this
feeling of helplessness and I really resent the term "broken".  While
I have been broken I have fought a brushfire on the side of a mountain
in Italy... I sprinted across a churchyard to save a 3 year old little
girl that wandered into traffic, and when I was broken I hopped out of
my jeep (without even putting the damn thing in park) and ran--in
sandals... losing them no less to render CPR to a woman whose car had
been t-boned at 60mph.  I ran barefoot across glass and god only knows
what kinds of fluids to help this woman...  and these bastards in my
chain of command want to tell me I can't go and assist because I am
"broke".

And for those of you wondering... yes I am a jackass and I did almost
get run over by my own jeep... LOL  My wife had to unbuckle herself in
the backseat (my daughter's carseat was in the front passenger) and
lean up and throw it in park.  Then later on I got bitched at by both
the cops and the FD for being barefoot.
(shrug)