[SPAM] hello and 2 questions

On 9/5/05, Julie Macfarlane <juliemac57@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey and welcome to the list!
>
> >1 - the clutch pedal does not return when depressed - does anyone have
> any
> >ideas about this? it seems to me that when the pedal is depressed, i can
> >run through the 5-speed gearbox, and when the pedal is pulled up (it
> >doesn't return by itself) i can only achieve 1st gear. i think perhaps
> >there is a broken spring somewhere? the clutch cable is not broken (i had
> >my wife watch the clutch actuation arm on the block while i worked the
> >pedal up and down). please advise.
>
> Either the rod that pushe son the cclutch bored through or the throw out
> bearing dies. Either of these will take pulling the transaxle.

 Generally it is one of two things:
1) The pushrod has pushed through the clutch retaining plate which will
require pulling the tranny to fix.
2) The finger on the opposite end has fractured and will need to be
replaced. This can be seen by carefully prying the end cap (green) off the
tranny and inspecting the finger lever. You can also see if the plunger that
pushes on the rod is moving back and forth with it.
 Mine was doing the same and I have the tranny pulled right now The clutch
retaining disk is good.
What throw out bearing are you referring to julie?

>2 - the car has the famous scirocco idle problem. that is, when idling,
> >the idle fluctuates +/- 500rpms or more, and almost stalls - pressing the
> >throttle does not immediately bring up the idle. what can/should i check
> >in the car's ignition system to deal with this?
>
> CHeck for vacumn leaks before the Tb. possible cause. Also if it is badly
> tuned (Air/Fuel) can do it.

 Ditto

Good luck!