transmissioin - rebuild or replace?

On 10:53:15 pm 10/29/05 Blake Irvin <blake@clockserver.homeip.net> wrote:
> oh, yeah, i'm poor right now and don't have my own garage...
>
> On Oct 29, 2005, at 10:48 , Blake Irvin wrote:
>
> >  i've been having some gear whine in 2nd-5th under load - figure i
> >  should either replace or rebuild transmission (it's old and from a
> >  jetta)
> >
> >  i can find reman's so far for 800, new from germanautoparts for
> > 1200
> >  should i rebuild (no experience with this, but i'm good and weird
> >  mechanical stuff) or replace?
> >
> >  stock performance is fine for my current needs.
> >
> >  blake/

If you're that poor, maybe someone on the list has a known good used one.
If you have someone install it, you'll be out about 5 hours of labour too,
so budget for that. Is it possible that something else is making it whine?
(bad tires, bearing, etc...)

Another question for the list...what happens if your gear oil is low? I
know it'll pop out of fifth, but is this another possibility for the
whining? (IIRC, your tranny was off not that long ago for a clutch, am I
right? Could be they lost some gear oil)

Just wondering...

cathy