Sputtering off throttle

Hi, all:

I'm trying to solve a running problem with my 85 8v.  The car runs reasonably well, good cold start, but a lot of sputtering out of the tailpipe when I downshift.  I figured it was too rich, but leaning it out makes the problem worse.  I really have to set it too rich to solve this problem.

Noodled with the mixture a bunch, as well as the timing, checked freq valve, CPR voltage, AAR, O2 response, all vacuum hoses, etc.  Distributer advance looks to be working, though I didn't examine it too closely.

I discovered tonight that it stops doing this when the WOT throttle switch is engaged.  Bentley describes operation of this for CIS-E cars, but I haven't even found mention of this for regular CIS cars.

So, it seems the car 'goes lean' when the throttle is released.  Any  suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jim

--
Sent from my Treo