transmission number

On 1:10:44 am 10/28/05 Blake Irvin <blake@clockserver.homeip.net> wrote:
> probably true - i guess maybe i just don't like the way the gear
> 'feels' - a bit lumpy, besides the bogging.  i think the PO might
> have beat the snot out if it - it sometimes whines in 3rd and 5th
>
> what is a good (fairly) new replacement transmission?  i still have a
> stock sachs 16v clutch kit i bought by accident...
>
> blake/

There's a nice gear chart on the Scirocco.org website, it'll give the
ratios and potential donors. AGB is what mine came with, it was fine as it
was, close ratio, 3.67 final if memory serves. I had it rebuilt to a 4K
essentially, and have a real 4K on my 79. I'm sure you will find a few
people with them, but the 4K's an 8V tranny, so the flanges will be 90s,
not 100s. These can be be swapped out. 4K is also close ratio but with a
3.94 final, and a fifth gear swap for something that revs lower in fifth
would complete the package. With a Quaife. ;)

Cathy