I'm so pumped! It runs...But why is the distributor THERE?(sorta long)

Sorry, I was recalling/thinking that the tang is fixed, i.e. positively
driven...you're saying it can be moved, which makes total sense, as the
distributor is gear driven and the tang allows the pump drive to piggyback,
right?  ...doy
Never even computed in my feeble mind....