A2 jetta problems-sorry only tiny rocco content

Today my 91 jetta started and after 5 minutes of running the oil light and
buzzer came on and sudden clatter noise when revved, sounds like from top and
bottom ends! I suspect the oil pump croaked and cooked the rod bearings and
starved the lifters. I am hoping to replace the oil pump and rod bearings and pray
it works. Does anyone have an opinion or advise? And is there such thing as a
high vulome oil pump? Thanks, Michael   P.S. the 75 Scirocco is completely
ready for paint and runs great, but won't see daylight until the spring.