WTF? Spontaneous window bustage?

This is the weirdest thing...

I was working on the Jetta just before I sold it like 2 weeks ago...Had the
strut assembly off the car and on the work bench, had the stereo going nice
and loud...when me and a my friends heard a loud noise, can't really
describe what kinda noise, you could just barely hear it over the stereo,
the Jetta was just outside the big open garage door, so we looked around,
walked around the jetta thinking maybe the jacks moved a bit or something
but the car was solid...i noticed the rear window down, but didn't think
much of it.  Later on, when it started to rain, i went to put the window up,
and by god, there was glass all over the seat and nothing left of the
window...

   I live in a cul de sac, neighbours weren't home, and if they were,
they're pretty old and likely wouldn't throw a rock...and there was no
projectile, no rock or brick laying on the seat, or on the ground.  When I
cleaned it up it was all fine shards of glass...

Bryan
Fort McMurray, AB
81 Volkswagen Scirocco
86 Volkswagen Jetta