Gino: Oh Julie, it's on now...

Well, we can get you singing, to the tune of "Looking for love...."

But let's make it "Looking for parts, in all the wrong places".
Oh, and Julie? Remember I said we could do it in 45 minutes? Well, we CAN.
Including "installing" a whole tube of CV grease into the dry axle. Seems
US axles come preassembled and not greased, Canadian axles come
predissassembled, Ikea style, without the instructions and Allen key, but
full of grease.

So we'd done our initial research of the Buffalo area FLAPS yesterday, and
had discovered that one of them had a left axle, but none had the right
axle that we needed. The car was at Buffalo International, and the only
Axle we could find was in Welland Ontario. (The car's in the middle of
export, so can't cross back into Canada till Ohio gets done with it) So we
crossed the border twice and got that done. The test drive revealed reduced
noise, but damn if there still wasn't something. Which this morning we
decided was too scary to put 400 miles on. So off to the Buffalo FLAPS that
had the left axle, and the timer went on. If the axle had been pregreased,
we'd have done it in a half hour, but 45 minutes later, Gino was finally
road worthy. These axles replace some "used temporaries" that Daun had
brought from home (to fit on the interim tranny and engine), they weren't
meant to be THAT temporary, but he just called me, and is still driving
happily in his new baby. And I had a nice time bonding with "her blue
bitchiness" (the 16V), and she's a hell of a sweet ride. I think she's
being extra good because she knows she's got some serious competition
sitting next to her  in the garage(the MkI).

Anyway, I'll post something more scandalous when Daun gets online...but
that makes 6 border crossings and three axles in a 48 hour span. I'm a bit
tired at the moment. Plans used to be for the weak. Now Plans are so
yesterday...

Cathy