(JH/ABA) Creative throttle linkage solutions for mk1?

As some of you know, I installed a JH/ABA into my mk1 and to make matters
worse, I went with a Fox intake and large throttle body somehow thinking I
wouldn't have any clearance issues.  We tried using a smaller, "low-post"
throttle body and even J-B-welded the ball down a couple millimeters using
washers but it still hits and pins the grommet under the tray. That was before
I remembered that I need the large T/B for the throttle switches for the knock
sensor ignition wiring...

I'm hoping for some ideas (and preferably experiences) on creativity for
throttle bodies on a mk1. Pix speak a 1000 words too...  :)

Cutting my freshly-painted rain tray is not an option. Looks like my plan is to
remove the ball stud from the linkage piece and weld it on upside-down. But I'm
also concerned about the material content of the linkage piece (it breaks when
bent too much - ask me how I know  :( I may also incorporate a Heim joint
linkage into the throttle cable from a CIS-E Audi...

Thanks! JT