first time - Suspension Rehab

--- Blake Irvin <blake@clockworm.com> wrote:

> oh - do i need  a special tool to do the springs
> upgrades/replacements?
>
> blake/

Not really.

- The REARs are easier as they are not really under
tension when removed as a unit from the car
(springs/shocks), prior to dis-assembly.

- The FRONTs on the other hand are usually under a bit
of strain and can cause damage (to the home mechanic)
if you don't bind them first with some specialty
clamps. Good news is these can be loaned from your
local parts store, or a friendly, local, fellow
lister. They hold the spring down while you remove the
capture nut on top. Failure to observe proper
procedure here can cause injuries, get a
copilot/mentor to work with you the 1st time.

(I haven't mentioned some fun you may have with the
front struts and holding an outside nut while you
twist the inner hex yet, but we can get to that
later.)

You can find stock springs fairly easy, they are
available from some good name brand outfits. Don't
relegate your parts/upgrade suppliers to just the
local Pep Boys/ Kragens, etc- make use of use Willey
veterans, who learned from older Willey veterans on
where you hard earned coin is best spent.

Go for the good stuff, and try to find the right
price, with the great service. (Don't discount that
last.)

btw- Let me introduce you to Jan's VW FAQ:

Specifically the Changing your Shocks section:
<http://mysite.verizon.net/janvdb/cars.html>

<http://mysite.verizon.net/janvdb/vw/Suspension/Changing_Shocks>

TBerk

Yahoo! Music Unlimited