Car Stereo Install

Well actually there is only one "head unit" and that is the lower one.

The head unit is a Kenwood 716s, and was one of the last blank faced
flip models that there was.  They have some other hidden faces now but
at the time that was the only one that was motorized.

Unfortunately, it does not support MP3's in any shape fashion or manner.

The upper unit is a Rio Empeg unit.  www.riocar.org  It is basically a
linux based computer with two laptop hardrives.  It does NOT have any
amplification onboard it is strictly preamp so it was going to be pay
ALOT of money for a 4 channel amp OR run it as an input to another
head unit.

Another downside is that the empeg plays MP3s and nothing else.  So no
CD's or Radio.  They work well together.  I am not going to win any
sound competitions, but it is loud enough to compensate for
little-to-zero exhaust dampening.  LOL

Really bad thing about the empeg's are they are expensive.  They have
stopped making them... the company that started them was bought out by
Rio.  Rio made a few thousand units (per contract) and then killed the
line as it was competing with it's own portable MP3 players.  So the
value of these things have gone up quite a bit.  The community around
these things is very tight, alot of intelligent people; VERY much like
the Scirocco list.  Why would I pay $800 for an MP3 player that
although is infinately upgradable, only had a starting capacity of
40gb?

In 2001 that was a tremendous amount of space.  I know that the ipods
have surpassed the capacity and the usefulness now but something about
it is better, while much of it is worse.  It is like I said a
computer.  It can be constantly updated and flashed, and you can
choose which build for what you want it to do.  It has network, usb
and serial connections, the interface is alot easier than itunes.

Don't get me wrong.  I have a 60gb ipod.  It is very convienent to
move from one car to another with it.  The empeg will stay in that one
car forever.  But that is why it has a sled and can be removed from
the dash.  I didn't take a picture of it but with the flip face closed
and the empty bay from the empeg people--unless they are scirocco
owners have NO IDEA that there is another head unit there. Most people
think that there is one radio (removed) with a blank plate beneath.

Sorry for the novel.

If I am local by that point I will have this car in Cincy.

Chris

--
My new mantra:
Keep it out of gear.