Brake lights staying on

> > From: "Edward Effinger" <Eeffinger@conestogac.on.ca>
> > To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> > Subject: Brake lights staying on
> > Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:46:32 -0500
> >
> > Greetings.
> > Last week it was the backup lights staying on,  this week its the
> > brake lights staying on.
> >
> > According to the Bentley, my 81S should have a mechanical switch at
> > the pedal cluster,
> > but, it does not.  Either an early model or someone has replaced the
> > master cylinder
> > with an earlier one.

Is there  a bracket for the switch?

> > I have two hydraulic switches on the master cylinder, one facing the
> > drivers side with
> > 4 wires and one on the other side at the front with only 2 wires.
> >
> > I found that if I disconnect the front connector(2 wires) the brake
> > lights will function normally.
> > I assume this is the brake warning light switch?
> > I also assume that this switch is somehow shorting out causing the
> > brake lights to stay on 24/7.

As Julie said, they are in parallel, so if either is plugged in you should
still have brake lights. Mine started to act oddly, the in-dash brake light
was on periodically, then it'd light up when I hit the brakes, then I had a
little fire at the MC. :)
So I'd start plotting a strategy to weld a bracket onto the cluster for a
normal brake switch, or to swap in a later pedal cluster if I were you.

> > What I don't really understand is how these switches are wired and
> > are supposed to work.
> > When I look at the manual it appears that there should be 3
> > circuites coming out of each switch?

I'd just assume the MC switch bits are near death, and plot to replace
them. Mine's not the only fire I've heard of there.

> > Thanks for any clarification you might provide.
> > Ed '81S

That's my spin on it, my 79 now has a nice GM switch at the pedal cluster.
I'd bet I'm not the only one who's gone that route.
cathy