Re-keying door locks?

I know a few of you out there can explain the procedure. It has something to
do with putting your key in and checking the pins. You can either remove the
offending pins or replace them with different sized ones. Although simply
removing them will allow it to work, it also reduces security of picking the
lock. Like they are hard to get into it anyways. Can someone go through the
whole procedure? I need to do one also. I searched the archives of my gmail
and checked Timbo's tech site, nothing!