Timing light?

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:50:04 -0500, "C Boyko"
<roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:

>Gordon, could you elaborate on how you use vaccuum WRT ignition timing? I
>have a vaccuum guage in my 79, and would love to use it for tuning.

I'm not an advocate for setting timing the way Marc described, but I
see how it could be done that way.  Seems you would have to have a lot
of experience with a particular kind of motor (as in his example) to
be able to do it.  A dynamic timing light would be the better way to
check and set timing, not only at idle, but through the whole advance
curve.

I also was thinking of a vacuum gauge that's big enough to read small
increments of change.  Not typical of the on-board gauges.  There are
several good references about using a vacuum gauge as a diagnostic
tool and late ignition timing is just one of the things it can help
you spot.

http://www.obd-codes.com/howto/diagnoseengine.php

Gordon
75 Mk I/Drake 1.9