Timing light?

Here are my .02 on timing.

I was told by a very knowledgeable VW mechanic, with formal trainig at a
specialized school and at VW, about how he did it on his VWs, and that this
process cames from manufacturing when they setup new designs.

He was using a vacuum meter for seting the timing. He peaked the vacuum by
advancing the distributor, the backed it out to lower the vacuum by 1" of
vacuum. Voil?.

I always did it like that, and I never had a chance to measure how much
degree it comes too, but the car runs strong. So it works for me.

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco
'97 A4 Q