16v fuel pumping woes

> what was the whirring i used to hear up front, and how do i get it
> back?
>
> blake/
>

> (btw, while first trying to start after the re-grounding, the metal
> canister next to the fuel dist. was touching the neg. battery
> terminal.  something was smoking a bit.  moved it and proceeded - did
> i fry something?)

The whirring is the fuel pump, and there are two, one in the tank and one
under the car on the passenger side, pretty well straight down from the
"Karmann" badge on the B pillar. You should see it under there with a box
shaped foam sound deadener on it. (If you need to know more, head up here
tomorrow night, I've gotta change one) It's possible that one could  run
but not the other. Get someone else to operate the key and listen under
there.

And the cylinder? It's probably the fuel filter, now might be a good time
to get a fire extinguisher, smoking there might not be the best thing.
Where the "nearest path to ground" would be from there remains the
question. (And why the big wire from the battery to frame wouldn't be the
path of choice is another). Keep at it, you'll get it running.
Cathy