16v fuel pumping woes

ok - finally got my starter to turn the motor - re-grounded a bunch
of stuff and then shifted the car's weight while in gear.

BUT, while i used to heard a whirring sound from the engine
compartment with the key in the ON (but not full-START) position, I
find that now I don't - and she won't start.

took up the back seat to see if the fuel pump was running - it is
(faint, but i can hear it).

i can hear the fuel pump relay clicking on and off for a few sec. as
it used to.

what was the whirring i used to hear up front, and how do i get it back?

blake/

(btw, while first trying to start after the re-grounding, the metal
canister next to the fuel dist. was touching the neg. battery
terminal.  something was smoking a bit.  moved it and proceeded - did
i fry something?)