exhaust rattle

Chances are, the pipe is banging the axle beam or the gas tank.

Axle beam issue usually involves loosening the clamps and moving the whole
exhaust forward or backwards a bit, which can be difficult if the clamps
have been tightened down to the point of crushing the pipes together.

Or, the bend over the trailing arm is hitting the metal shield covering the
tank (usually more of a rattle/buzz than a knock.  You can raise or lower
the muffler by bending the hangars (rods) that are welded onto the muffler
(these usually get a little bent during shipping, anyway).

If you can get the exhaust to bang somewhere by shaking/pulling on it,
there's an excellent chance you'll be able to adjust it to clear better.  If
you absolutely have to put it in reverse to get it to hit, you should check
the condition of your mounts.

Jim