Battery cable ruled out

i'm having a similar problem.

checked battery charge/amps/volts at local auto place - OK
checked grounds from neg. terminal - they connect properly (below
airbox and on engine block/transmission)
checked starter (actually, replaced with new one from GAP)

my fuel pump relay buzzes sometimes.  i don't hear my fuel pump up
front run when i turn the key.  engine does not turn over at all.

this is a 16v, '88.  was starting fine until i changed the air filter
- after that, one crank and then nothing.

are there any devices that MUST be working for the starter to turn
(ie, fuel pump, distributor, etc)?

blake/