Coupla questions(shifter/alternator)

Okay, first: Shifter rebuilding. I did bushings today, (again,on the Cabby,
but A1 is A1, same bushings) I discovered that the slop is really from
where the long selector shaft passes through the bracket that holds it to
the body, there's a big rubber bushing/bearing that has deteriorated over
the years. (the other bushings were actually not too bad) So is it
replaceable, or do I need to order the whole bracket? (ETKA doesn't seem to
show it as a separate PN)
I'm betting my 16V's is in a similar rotted state, its never been as solid
shifting as it should be.

Second: On starting to test the vaccuum system, (vent directionality
related) I noticed nice big sparks coming off the alternator's fat positive
wire. Filled with cough supressant, I tried to tighten it after turning the
car off, lots of sparks, I forgot to unhook the battery, Bad plan. (and it
was tight, I should have known that from previous explorations) Anyway,
there should be a black hunk of plastic under that big wire, ever wonder
what it was for? I think I know now. The question remains, can I get one?
How long have I been at war with this device?

Good things: The wipers were only working on fast speed and wouldn't
"park". Turns out there was NO relay at all, put one in, they work as they
should. That was today's only victory. Well, I sucessfully changed the
pollen filter on the bug, took about an hour. No further ahead on the fuel
pumps. Sigh.

Cathy