Smoking from the tranny hole?? Starter toast?

That's just it, Ron - this car's electrical system is a big enigma (this
is my grey 81s, not the project - that thing starts in five cranks).
I've covered all the bases; I've got 0 or 2 (I can't remember) gauge
line running from the battery to the starter terminal then to the
alterator. I've got a 4 gauge running from the alternator chassis to the
cylinder head near the cam sprocket, a 90A alternator (admittedly used
though), and 0 gauge running from the battery ground to the trans and
then to the chassis. I also just added a 10 gauge from the valve cover
to the rain tray. All of these connections are in good condition. All
that and I still get barely 12v at the gauge with NO accessories.

The engine configuration is also kind of a hack job. The PO installed a
3A with a ported solid lifter head, but never installed a knock sensing
ignition. It also has some sort of fuel enrichment operated by a
potentiometer in the center console. Be that as it may, I'm not sure
where the timing's at. It's ran fine before set up this way....

I've got a couple of used starters hanging around the garage. I'll try
those first.

Thanks for the input!

JT