welders, come here

I'd suggest taking a beginner MIG welding course.  I took a one day
course at a local trade college, and learned a lot.  The instructor
was a tool, but the practical experience was enough that I was
confident to tackle welding my own projects...  MIG welding is easy to
learn, and you can weld anything from sheet metal to aluminum (with
the right equipment).  Small, household current MIG welders are cheap
to buy as well.
Mark.

For all practical purposes, you'll not be welding any aluminum in your shop
or garage; takes to much in the way of specialized accessories.
  Also, when Mark says cheap, he means "realatively".  :)  I bought a small
Miller 110V MIG welder several years ago.  By the time I got it home, the
bill was way more than I had figured:  The machine was only about
$599....add a spool of wire, a bottle of steel mix (gas), regulators, new
shield lens, a coupla spare tips, some anti-spatter, and the total was a
coupla' bucks over $800.

Just be prepared.
Larry
sandiego16v