starter HelP

--- Patrick Bureau <patrick.bureau@gmail.com> wrote:
> 12.51 across the poles is low, the battery should
> show ~13.55 across the
> poles...

12.6 if it is not charging (open circuit); anything
over 13 should be a charging value.  If you have 13 or
greater in an open circuit battery situation, that is
not good (dangerous) as it will overcharge the plates.
 Akin to a malfuntioning regulator.

12.5 (which is over 85% state of charge) is enough to
crank an engine over easy, assuming the starter is up
to the task (engine type).  I know - mine is 12.5 or
thereabouts normally and never fails.

Page 13-9 in the Bentley will confirm.

But I will agree that the booster cable shot is the
way to go to test the battery ultimately.  If it
works, you know it is the battery.