OT: Job offer in NYC

Well, It depends on what comfortable is for you. Are you wanting to rent or buy? I lived in NYC in the early 90's. The rent for my first small one bedroom apt was $950 a  month. My last apt which was a much larger  but not huge was $1800. You can do much better if you don't live in manhatten. I"m sure you could find something in Jersey or Upstate NY that you could work with. I lived in Weehawken NJ for awhile which was just across the river and much cheaper. really though I think you are in for a shock compared to NC.
Matt
1981 Mars Red
1984 Wolfsburg
1987 8V Auto