Definition of Frustration

On 11:08:40 pm 11/07/05 "Marc Getty" <marc@getty.net> wrote:

> I manage IT at the largest college in the 28th largest university in
> the USA. We buy *A LOT* of computers and typically have ~1300
> machines in production at any given time. As a comparison, here is
> roughly what we pay for a laptop per year.
>
>  All that adds up to $1005/laptop/year for us. This includes
> great desk-side support but does not count training, development of
> administrative systems, call-in help desk, e-mail, etc.
>
> Desktops have a lifespan of 5 years and cost $745/year.
>
><snipped>> -Marc

 On Behalf Of
> Bennett, Christopher P ET1 MARMC 1230B
>

>      Working for an organization that is willing to pay an OBSCENE
> amount of money for leasing a laptop, and then keeps some of them
> locked up.
> Lets do a little math.
<more snipping>

I work in education. Funding is parcelled, and I imagine it is the same in
any "organization" of any size. ANY item may cost obscene amounts of money
if done by tender, but it's easier to access money that way. For example, I
need new greenhouse benches, but to get the board to pay for the wood, I
have to get the board carpenters to install it, so it comes with "that"
cost added. I have no doubt that small day-to-day stuff like office
supplies adds up, in your case, to a more rediculous waste of cash than the
laptops do. Long and short of it? Big organizations are wasteful, get used
to it. Or work in "head office' and do something about it.
Our newest laptops lasted under a month before they were stolen. From a
locked room/locked cupboard, protected by video cameras/alarms. A cost of
operation I guess.
Cathy