Lets talk about voltage.

Okay, I'm still screwing around with this same thing, BUT, if mine falls
below 12V, the fuel pump goes out/car dies. I've done wires to death, and
it only ever charges at 12.3 or so, and accessories knock it down to where
I can kill the car by turning them on. It'll run fine without accessories
on, and it starts really well. I'm buying an alternator aren't I?? And
where's a good place to get one? I keep hearing myths of cheap Bosch ones
at Canadian Tire, they want $279, since I won't have a core. That doesn't
seem that cheap to me.

Also, the fuel pump seems noisier when the voltage dips. Is this a case of
"bad fuel pump causes the draw", or "fuel pump gets noisy when it doesn't
have enough juice". The car seems to accelerate smoothly enough, it just
dies at idle with a ton of accessories running.

I just want to be triple sure before I beat a perfectly good alternator to
death, it's not going to come off gracefully. Advice appreciated.
cathy